Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Restored and Renewed in Panama!

The good thing about having just enough is that you have no choice but to lean on God each and every day for EVERYTHING. Each day has its challenges, sacrifices and roadblocks but God makes a way!

It’s hard to believe how much my life has changed in the last 18 months. I left behind my cushy, comfy life in Northern California. Not just any place in California, but maybe one of the best places to live in the United States. I’m not kidding - ask anyone about Danville…crème de la crème! It’s a heavenly bubble! I have never felt so safe and protected in my life. We had a beautiful home, nice cars, and lots of money that afforded us all-things good. We had easy accessibility to San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park, Carmel-by-the-sea (it is heaven on earth…look it up), Pacific Coast Highway, Berkeley, Silicon Valley…I could go on and on but you get the point. Who wouldn't want to live there and why on earth would anyone leave here? I know - my thoughts exactly.

Al felt called after prayer to work and serve here in Panama. This story is a post all on its own. This was a year plus in the making and like anything else, it was super exciting. Who wouldn't want an opportunity to live abroad? We survived Japan, surely we could manage Central America. I knew nothing about Panama except it had a canal. It wasn't on my list of places to visit nor did I know of anyone who has lived there, much less visited. I saw the pictures online, YouTube videos and I was sold! It’s PARADISE!!! Anyway, God had given me peace about changing our lifestyle. We would live a simple life and travel throughout Central and South America! Yay Patino family!

I soon realized after 3 months that this wasn't for me. It rained and rained and rained. I like sun…a lot of sun.  I ruined all my expensive leather sandals and constantly sweated like a pig. The humidity was killing me…downright embarrassing. Keep in mind I came from Northern CA where we had free AC and cool weather 8-10 months out of the year. By the time December came I missed my fall/winter clothes, boots and scarves. I missed the clean, fresh air. I missed my peaceful drives to Berkeley. I missed all the conveniences that the U.S. offers. Dear God, what have we done?

When you've moved as often as we have, you develop a mentality that nothing will bother you. Been there, done that. Well not this time. I was terrified to drive. Break lights are optional here…I’m not exaggerating. People cross the road right in front of you with no notice. Cab drivers are aggressive and never paying attention to their surroundings. Meanwhile murdercycles (my dad has always called them this) are weaving in and out and you just wonder if they are going to make it out alive. Dear God, help us!

God was working in me and through me as I felt the walls closing in. Al’s job was questionable. He was figuring out things and God was revealing lots of issues that needed immediate attention. It was hard. With no bonuses coming in, I needed to find work but God knew I needed a heart-lift. He was stripping me of all my comforts, including a job. I realized that my identity was in my old lifestyle and money. I had neither here. He then showed me that those comforts sustained me. I filled every void with something because I had the money and means to patch it up. God wanted my heart to bleed out. He wanted me to lean and rely ONLY on Him. I was dying. Jesus, I need you! 

I never shed so many tears in my life. This was the death to Lisa in the flesh. I fought and fought and prayed and prayed to be rescued. God kept me in the mud. I had no lifelines but wasn't willing to give up hope on restoring my old life. Two days before the New Year, I emptied all my pain, my hopes and ambitions to Jesus. I begged for a fresh start but He replied so gently, “Lisa, more downward growth.” I AM DEVASTATED!!!! NOOOOOOO! Why Jesus? Why? As I threw my pity party of one, He spoke to me one night. “The wind will blow, the snow will fall and the rain will saturate you but you will sustain (in Me) and weather any storm.” Hallelujah!!!  What a relief. He showed me in a vision a tree with deep roots. I knew this was my tree and my roots growing stronger, wider and deeper in faith, love and prayer. Peace filled my heart and I have never been the same since. Fill me up, God!

I've been on a prayer journey ever since. This has been the craziest, most fulfilling season of my life. I will blog next time how this all began. God is at work. He was connecting hearts, near and far, for His glory. He handpicked a few ladies and you won’t fully understand how awesome God has been to us until you read this story! OK, some of you may already know but those who are skeptical wait for it. By the way, I LOVE Panama!!  He healed, restored and made me new. A better version of Lisa than I could ever imagine. The crazy part is the best is still yet to come. The story continues as He writes my story for His glory! Thank You, Jesus!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your faith journey! It truly gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete