Tuesday, March 24, 2015

MORE Jesus!

What an amazing year 2015 has been! Every day just reveals more about how sovereign and merciful our God is. How much He loves and cares for every detail in our life. Less of me and more of Him!


For the past week we've been awaiting the news to see if Cecily will be accepted into the Neeley School of Business for Entrepreneurship. Yes, I know, Baylor is ranked #3 but TCU is close behind at #6. With Cecily in their ranks, I see a healthy competition in the near future. Let's just face the fact, Jesus has Texas Christian University's back and pours favor on the faithful!

This had me thinking and praying and asking God in prayer for His blessing over Cecily's future. As I prayed and prayed I realized my prayers were for the big picture. I prayed over the school, over their student body: upcoming, current and alum. I prayed for their teaching and biblical principals that may be lacking in their teaching. I prayed that God pursue the hearts of the professors and leadership and bring them to their knees. MORE JESUS!!

On Sunday during Worship Night at PAINT church, I asked God to have His way in Cecily's life. "She's Yours, King Jesus. Father, pull her hearts strings and have her hunger for You. Lord, may she know You and seek You in everything she does." As I went deeper in prayer I spoke a prayer that could only have been lead by the Holy Spirit. "Father of Heaven and Earth, if Cecily wants this for herself and not to honor You and give You glory, take away this opportunity! Remove it and restore what Your plan is for her." My heart stopped but I knew those words meant truth. Why would I want my daughter to be blessed with something if she desired it more than she desired Jesus?

The next day my stomach was in knots. How do I tell my daughter this? What did I get myself into? I reminded myself to trust in God's plan. Cecily had called me and told me that they had a guest speaker at Gateway Church on Sunday. She said the message was about Jesus, the humble servant. There is nothing more that I want but to align myself to my children and their biblical teaching. I want to have a deeper conversation about the message she received. I want to compare her notes with my notes and share with her what Holy Spirit has put in my heart.

What a message! Dr. Spurling spoke about a time in his life when he finished up his PhD. He said he got his diploma and shared it with his father and his father looked at it and gave it back to him. He so wanted a "good job, son" speech but his dad instead spoke truth into his son. He said, "Son, fold up that diploma, put it in your back pocket and let no one know you have it. If you need a piece of paper to validate who you are then you're not worth much. If you want someone to be impressed with your credentials, then you have some other issues. If you want someone to look at you and admire you because of something extra...if its not the quality of your character that attracts them, then you're not much of a man and I don't want a son who acts that way." WOW!! I needed to hear this. This was confirmation of what Holy Spirit spoke to my heart on Sunday. How cool is our Father? He gave this message to my daughter, His daughter on the same day!! What am I worried about? God has this covered! MORE JESUS!!

Today we received the wonderful news that she has been accepted!! Yes I'm happy and proud of her but she is more than the school she attends and the degree she's aiming for. Ultimately, I want Jesus to qualify her with the gifts and talents He has blessed her with. I want her to pursue what God places in her heart that will honor Him all the days of her life. Even though she was born to teenage parents, she was made for more! More of His love for the poor and orphans! More of His mercy and grace! More of His compassion for the weak and weary! More of His vision! More time on her knees! More Holy Spirit! More surrendering to His Lordship! MORE JESUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment